5 Must Have Tips to Store Your Bedding in Summer
- 5 Must Have Tips to Store Your Bedding in Summer
- April 01, 2021
Let's be honest.
You’ve not thought about storing your winter bedding as you approach the scorching summer months!
Unfortunately, storing bedding comes with a whole new set of rules and regulations!
So, if you've been stuffing your winter essentials in tiny bags for months on end, we're here to stop AND educate you!
Here's everything you need to know about effectively storing your bed covers for the summer!
Tip 1: Clean Your Bedding!
Before storing your cotton bedsheets, comforters, quilts, blankets and duvet covers, there's one crucial aspect you must ensure.
Heck, even if your bedcovers aren't the cleanest, they should definitely be dry and moisture-free.
So, if you've taken the time to wash your sheets before setting them aside for the long haul, make sure they’re completely sun-baked.
Well, even a hint of dampness or leftover moisture can instantly trigger the growth of mould or mildew.
We don't want that now, do we?
Tip 2: Assess Your Storage Options
Ideally, most people store their bedding by neatly folding and tucking it away in a closet or on a shelf.
This is a great practice to follow. It ensures adequate airflow, allowing your bed covers to breathe for months on end, which in turn prevents the growth of mould, bacteria or other unwanted creatures!
Sadly, not all of us have the luxury of space or multiple storage options to choose from.
Not to worry, our next tip is specifically for you!
Tip 3: Invest In Storage Bags
So, you don't have a large closet or spare room in which you can store your bedding for the summer.
Your next best option is investing in storage bags!
This technique ensures guaranteed protection against dust, mould, bacteria, bugs and more!
- Cotton and plastic storage bags are ideal choices, allowing utmost space and breathability.
- Another popular option - vacuum bags. These cases protect your bedcovers while simultaneously allowing trapped moisture to escape!
- Word to the wise, steer clear of plastic trash bags. Their absorption properties can gravely damage bedding in the long run!
Tip 4: Master the Art of Folding
Mastering the art of folding your bedding is a crucial step when it comes to summer-time storage.
A neatly folded bedsheet will definitely take up less space!
On the downside, heavy comforters, duvet covers and fitted sheets can be exceptionally challenging to fold. Most quilts aren't even meant to be compressed or stacked!
To overtake this hurdle, turn your bedding sets into balls and use ribbons to tie them in place. This provides you with the option of vertical storage and prevents flattening!
Tip 5: Fresh Bedding for the Win
Last but not least - here are a few ways in which you can ensure your stored bedding remains fresh and fantastic during the summer.
- Place a few dryer sheets between your folded covers. This will keep it dry and moisture-free!
- Mix a dash of baking soda with sweet-smelling essential oils inside a jar. Punch a few small holes in the lid and place it near your storage space. Voila, your bedding will remain fresh for months to come!
- Once you pull out your bedding for use after summer, make sure to launder and dry it thoroughly on a hot day. This will eliminate any odour causing bacteria that may be thriving in your sheets!
And, don’t forget to browse through our other blogs. We have an array of content, guides, tips and tricks for all your bedding needs.